9.3.1 AMO, Materials Science
Beamline 9.3.1 Overview
Beamline 9.3.1 is a bend-magnet beamline which provides high-resolution x-ray beams for electron, ion, and x-ray spectroscopy measurements in atomic, molecular, and materials science.
The beamline is built around a double Si (1,1,1) crystal monochromator with a 2.32 to 5.6 keV energy range. This range includes the K-edges of sulfur and chlorine.
The optical design includes two identical, but oppositely defecting, toroidal mirrors positioned symmetrically before and after the monochromator. This approach yields two benefits: high resolution by providing parallel x-rays for diffraction by the Si crystals, and a small beam spot by means of 1:1 focusing of the storage ring source with a minimum of aberrations.
The minimum beam size is better than 0.7 x 1.0 mm, and the position stability is less than 10 micron vertically and 25 microns horizontally. The beamline delivers over 1.3 × 1011 photons/s with a resolving power near 7000.
Beamline 9.3.1 Staff
|Wayne C. Stolte
||Scientist, BL 9.3.1
||510-486-5804 Web page
Recent Beamline 9.3.1 Publications
- L. El Khoury, L. Journel, R. Guillemin, S. Carniato, W.C. Stolte, T. Marin, D.W. Lindle, and M. Simon, "Resonant inelastic x-ray scattering of methyl chloride at the chlorine K-edge", J. Chem. Phys. 136 (2012) 024319.
- I.N. Demchenko, M. Chernyshova, E. Piskorska-Hommel, R. Minikayev, J.Z. Domagala, T. Yamaguchi, W.C. Stolte, and K. Lawniczak-Jablonska, “YAn XANES and XES investigation of the electronic structure of indium rich INxGa1-xN films”, J. Alloys and Compounds 509 (2011) 9528.
- L. Journel, S. Carniato, R. Guillemin, R. Taïeb, et M. Simon, “Dynamiique nuclécaire ultrarapide par spectroscopie d'émission X”, L'actualité chimique 356-357 (2011) 123.
- D.A. McKeown, H. Gan, I.L. Pegg, W.C. Stolte, I.N. Demchenko, “EX-ray absorption studies of chlorine valence and local environments in borosilicate waste glasses”, Journal of Nuclear Materials 408 (2011) 236.
- S. Carniato, R. Taïeb, L. Journel, R. Guillemin, W.C. Stolte, D.W. Lindle,F. Gel'mukhanov, and M. Simon, “Resonant x-ray raman scattering on molecules: a benchmark study on HCl" J. Elect. Spect. and Rel. Phenom.181 (2010) 116.
- W.C. Stolte, R. Guillemin, I.N. Demchenko, G. Öhrwall, S.-W Yu, J.A. Young, M. Taupin, O. Hemmers, M.N Piancastelli, and D.W. Lindle “EInner-shell photofragmentation of Cl2” J. Phys. B: At. Mol. Opt. Phys. 43 (2010) 155202.
- W.C. Stolte and G. Öhrwall, “Sulfur K-edge photofragmentation of ethylene sulfide”, J. Chem. Phys. 133 (2010) 01306.
- I.N. Demchenko, J.D. Denlinger, M. Chernyshova, K.M. Yu, D.T. Speaks, P. Olalde-Velasco, O. Hemmers, W. Walukiewicz, A. Derkachova, and K. Lawniczak-Jablonska, “Full multiple scattering analysis of XANES at the Cd L3 and O K edges in CdO films combined with a soft-x-ray emission investigation”, Phys. Rev. B 82 (2010) 075107.
ALS User Proposals
|Submit or Renew an ALS User Proposal for beamtime.|
March 6, 2013, 5:00 pm