9.3.2 Chemical, Materials Science
Beamline 9.3.2 Overview
In the past, surface science studies on model systems performed under idealized conditions, i.e., ultrahigh vacuum (UHV), have contributed substantially to our present understanding of the elementary mechanisms governing gas-surface. It has been shown that surface and overlayer structures formed at UHV pressures can be very different from structures that might be thermodynamically stable only at high pressures. Few Techniques can be used to investigate such systems. Ambient Pressure (up to 10 torr) X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (AP-XPS) was developed at BL9.3.2 to bridge this gap. (Ogletree, Bluhm, Lebedev, Fadley, Hussain, Salmeron, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 73 (2002) 3872)
Currently, the AP-XPS end-stations are used by users to investigate: catalytic processes, fuel cells and other energy related research; environmental science; semiconductor technology.
We just comissioned a new APPES instrument at beamline 9.3.2. This new instrument, Scienta R4000 HiPP, is a result of collaboration between ALS and its industrial partner VG-Scienta. The R4000 HiPP provides superior electron transmission as well as spectromicroscopy modes with 16 μm spatial resolution in one dimension and angle-resolved modes with simulated 0.5° angular resolution at 24° acceptance. Under maximum transmission mode, the electron detection efficiency is more than an order of magnitude better than the previous endstation at beamline 9.3.2. (Michael E. Grass, Patrik G. Karlsson, Funda Aksoy, Måns Lundqvist, Björn Wannberg, Bongjin S. Mun, Zahid Hussain, Zhi Liu Rev. Sci. Instrum. (2010) May)
Beamline 9.3.2 Science Highlights
2010: Fuel cell in action
2009: CO Prefers the Aisle Seat
2008: Reaction-Driven Restructuring of Bimetallic Nanoparticle Catalysts
2008: Looking at Transistor Gate Oxide Formation In Real Time
2007: Platinum in Fuel Cell Gets a Helping Hand
2005: Electron Spectroscopy of Aqueous Solution Interfaces Reveals Surface Enhancement of Halides
- M. E. Grass, M. Park, F. Aksoy, Y.W. Zhang, Z. Liu, B. S. Mun, Langmuir DOI: 10.1021 /la101690y (2010) “Effect of O2, CO, and NO on the Surface Segregation in a Rh50Pd50 Bulk Crystal and a comparison to Rh50Pd50 Nanoparticles”.
- F. El Gabaly, M. Grass, A. H. McDaniel, R. L. Farrow, M. A. Linne, Z. Hussain, H. Bluhm, Z. Liu, and K. F. McCarty, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. Phys 12, 12138 (2010) “Measuring individual overpotentials in an operating solid-oxide electrochemical cell”.
- M. E. Grass, P. G. Karlsson, F. Aksoy, M. Lundqvist, B. Wannberg, B. S. Mun, Z. Hussain, Z. Liu, Rev. Sci. Instum. 81, 053106 (2010) “New Ambient Pressure Photoemission Endstation at ALS Beamline 9.3.2”.
- C.J. Zhang, M. E. Grass, A. H. McDaniel, S. C. DeCaluwe, F. El Gabaly, Z. Liu, K. F. McCarty et. al., Accepted for publication, Nature Materials (2010)“Measuring fundamental properties in operating solid oxide electrochemical cells by using in situ X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy”.
- J. A. Whaley, A. H. McDaniel, F. El Gabaly, R. L. Farrow, M. E. Grass, Z. Hussain, Z. Liu, M. A. Linne, H. Bluhm, and K. F. McCarty. Rev. Sci. Instrum. 81, 086104 (2010) “Note: Fixture for characterizing electrochemical devices in-operando in traditional vacuum systems.”
- Y. Sun, Z. Liu, P. Pianetta, J. Appl. Phys. 107, 124904 (2010)"The dependence of the oxidation enhancement of InP(100) surface on the coverage of the adsorbed Cs".
- F. Tao, M. E. Grass, Y. W. Zhang, D. R. Butcher, F. Aksoy, S. Aloni, V. Altoe, S. Alayoglu, J. R. Renzas, C. K. Tsung, Z. Liu, M. Salmeron, and G. A. Somorjai, Accept for publication J. Am. Chem. Soc. 132, 8697 (2010) “Evolution of Structure and Chemistry of Bimetallic Nanoparticle Catalysts under Reaction Conditions”
- F. Tao, S. Dag, L.W. Wang, Z. Liu, D. R. Butcher, H. Bluhm, M. Salmeron, G. A. Somorjai, Science 327, 850 (2010). “Break-Up of Stepped Platinum Catalyst Surfaces by High CO Coverage”.
- K. Wang, Z. Liu, T. H. Cruz, M. Salmeron and H. Liang, J. Phys. Chem. A 114, 2489 (2010) “In Situ Spectroscopic Observation of Activation and Transformation of Tantalum Suboxides”.
- Jose L. Hueso, Juan P. Holgado, Rosa Pereiguez, Simon Mun, Miquel Salmeron, Alfonso Caballero. J. Solid State Chem. 183, 27 (2010). "Chemical and electronic characterization of cobalt in a lanthanum perovskite. Effects of strontium substitution".
- Alfonso Caballero, Juan P. Holgado, Victor M. Gonzalez-delaCruz, Susan E. Habas, Tirma Herranz, and Miquel Salmeron. Chem. Comm. (2010). DOI: 10.1039/b920803h. "In situ spectroscopic detection of SMSI effect in a Ni/CeO2 system: hydrogen-induced burial and dig out of metallic nickel".
ALS User Proposals
|Submit or Renew an ALS User Proposal for beamtime.|
March 6, 2013, 5:00 pm